Sources of OMEGA-3
Omega 3 is found as a supplement in various forms (tablets, capsules, pills, oils), the best being the one in which we consume the whole food. In nature, Omega-3 is found in significant quantities in fish and flaxseed.
I spoke to the famous Doctor in Pharmacy Ovidiu Bojor, member of the Academy of Medical Sciences, the patriarch of Romanian phytotherapy who said ” do not choose from the market the most good-looking vegetables, enormous carrots, oversized potatoes, or perfect fruits, as a presentation, without a trace of worm in the whole lot. All this brilliant hope is nothing but a sign of chemical and commercial cultures.”
Out of convenience or ignorance we use fewer and fewer natural products, against processed ones.
Dr. Ovidiu Bojor says that: “fish is a good source of essential fatty acids, fish oil being recommended for Omega-3 supplementation, but it is less well known that flaxseeds have an Omega-3 content of 18 -24%, compared to only 2% of fish”.
Advantages of eating flaxseed instead of fish
- Omega-3 fatty acids are the bricks that help perform many functions in the body, including that of EPA (eicosapentanoic acid). Fish oil basically doesn’t supply Omega-3, it directly supplies EPA, which limits the body’s choice to do what it needs from Omega-3.
- Omega -3 of flaxseeds, reduces blood cholesterol by 25% and triglycerides by 65%.
- Another advantage that flax has over fish is that the oil extracted from this plant contains no cholesterol. In contrast, 100 millilitres of cod oil contains 570 milligrams of cholesterol, about the same amount in the yolk of two eggs!
- Fish are highly contaminated with toxic substances (mercury) due to massive water pollution. Consumption of natin does not pose any risk in this respect.
- Another big difference is the fiber contained in flaxseed. Fish does not contain any fibre son and is also a form of concentrated, unhealthy food. Flax seeds contain a form of fiber called lignin which our body converts into an antioxidant that helps the immune system and has aniviral and anticancer properties. Those who have a diet in which lignin predominates, considerably reduce colon or breast cancer.
- Flax oil and fish oil contain large amounts of vitamins A and D. These vitamins, if of animal origin, are toxic to the human body. Vitamins in flax, such as provitamin carotene, which is converted by the body into vitamin A, cannot become toxic in the body, regardless of the amount of seeds ingested.
- The use of linin instead of fish oil also has a moral and ethical component.
- The inn is cheap and available, easy to store and handle.
How we consume flaxseed
An adequate daily consumption of flaxseed would be 3 teaspoons. Those who prefer flaxseed oil, it should be taken one teaspoon a day to maintain us. For therapeutic purposes, the dose is increased to 5 teaspoons per day and 2 teaspoons per day as needed.
The seeds are soaked in the evening for the morning, this process favoring the deactivation of inhibitory enzymes. They can be eaten together with various mixed fruits in the blender (after they have been soaked), being more easily assimilated. They can also be eaten and ground, added to salads, in a drink or as such.
The intake of flaxseeds in the diet is as important for vegetarians as it is for those who consume only live food or for non-vegetarians. They are cheap and easy to find (in naturist shops or on profile sites, on the internet). All we have to do is add them to our diet and make a habit of it.
Benefits of eating flaxseed
- improve the immune system,
- protection against heart disease (lower blood pressure),
- anticancer activity against tumours,
- benefits against inflammatory diseases,
- normalizes sugar in the blood,
- protection against diabetes,
- increase vitality and ensure soft skin and shiny hair,
- improve vision,
- benefits against allergies,
- benefits against water retention,
- benefits for dry, hard skin,
- increases resistance to cold,
- prevents and treats arthritis,
- helps kidney functions
- helps to form sperm
- helps the development of the brain of the fetus and adults,
- treats asthma and protects the lungs,
- treat digestive problems.
You need 3-6 months after adding Sources of Omega-3 to the diet to observe the results.